Sunday, August 23, 2009

MARRIAGE

So I am getting married.

Till now the reality of this concept hadn’t sunk in. Till now the major worry amounted to … will it rain on the d’day ( it is an outdoor wedding) …. Will the sadistic H1N1 virus decide to finally leave the venue alone ( the wedding is in Pune) etc.

But Now? I just got down to packing for the actual married life. And unfortunately started with shoes. How many shoes can a girl carry into the “sasural” and not be made fun of? 35? 5? I faced the sad reality that I would have to part with a lot of my treasured possessions.

As I sat there with all my shoes strewn around me on the floor, I finally accepted that my life would be changed forever. And not just on the material plane of shoes, jeans, tops.

But every aspect of life would change.

The thing with ‘family’ which you take for granted is, you can be yourself. After the years you have lived which other, there are no surprises left and you are forced to accept the good and the bad of each other.

No matter how supportive or loving the sasural is, it will be different. You are the alien element; Cast in a different mould from them. And because of no ones fault it becomes a strange situation for everyone concerned. Everyone has to try their best to please. To try and do what is expected rather than what has become natural.

Is this so unbearable, you ask me? Maybe, maybe not. If one is lucky their natural personality will not clash with that of the in-laws. Marriage is after all just another gamble in life.

To me marriage will be a “Bitter-Sweet symphony”

Sweet cause the “Through sickness and health…..” part will come true

And bitter ,as it can’t be “….through bare feet and 35 pairs of shoes…..”

Sigh.

6 comments:

bhashu said...

yes adi,marriage is a bitter sweer symphony..... But we are the lucky ones who will have two homes, each special in their own ways, and we will not want either of them to replace/substitute the other.... We can go to our homes and live our good old days again, even if its just for a few days,.... But our husbands will not have that choice unless we oblige :-)

Trustmeonthisone said...

40 seconds before I read this, most of family were discussing my ideal wife. I was not asked to participate in fact I was asked in jest. All I could do was get up and walk away. I'd take marrying a friend carrying as many or as few shoes, slippers as I am allowed to over living "till death do us part" with some random stranger who fills some criteria decided by a joint family

Trustmeonthisone said...

wait this is not my place to rant. I ll find elsewhere to do it.

Just best wishes for life! And a hell of a party when I meet you guys next :)

Parisarapremi said...

nandu ondu wish-u. :-)

shubhavaagli ma.

Sindhu said...

dad recently asked me want i wanted and at first i said nothing. a moment later i said i wanted to live with him, mom n bro for ever.. just after i had uttered it i realized i dint mean it cos i wanted the spl person of my life too.. life surely is different after marriage.. good luck adi. i am sure u d love it :)

Divya said...

take 17.5 pairs.... ul need the rest back cos u will be partying as hard in bangalore :) Cheers to ur new life :)